Saturday, March 9, 2013

I've been a bad, bad blogger!



Hey Everyone,
So, my last post was in October! GAH! So much has happened and there is so much that I want to do with this blog. I do not know how I'm going to find the time to do it.
Anyways, here are some updates on Loki and the Family K:
1) At Loki's year check up, we discovered that he gained 10 pounds. :( It's our fault because we (and our parents) spoil him with treats and table scrapes. In my opinion, the "grandpa's" were the worst offenders! So we scaled back a bit on Loki's food and introduced carrots and green beans to him. His exercise is still the same (1.5 - 2.0 mile walk or run). When we first introduced green beans to Loki, it was hilarious!  Check it out!

2) In January, we found out that our city (well township really) has a Vicious Dog Ordinance. Unfortunately, the Vicious Dog Ordinance has breed specific language:
Vicious dog [according to Canton Township] means:
(1) Any dog with a known propensity, tendency or disposition to attack unprovoked, to cause injury to, or to otherwise endanger the safety of humans or other domestic animals;
(2) Any dog that attacks a human being or other domestic animal without being provoked; or
(3) Any dog known by the owner to be a pit bull terrier, which shall be defined as any American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, or American Staffordshire Terrier breed of dog or any mixed breed of dog known to contain as an element of its breeding any of such breeds. (Source; Click Chapter 14 – Animals; Article I - In General)
So, Canton Township is calling this a vicious dog:



I cry bull-sh*t! So, I’m working with various pit bull advocate to get the breed specific language removed!  I’m a bit nervous taking on this campaign, but I really cannot sit by as I see various dogs in Canton Township automatically labeled “vicious” just because of their breed. It’s funny that we discovered this two years into adopting Loki. For the first year, Loki was pretty much one of the few bully dogs in the neighborhood. In the last year alone, Marcin and I have seen more and more pits and pit mixes. 

I haven’t sent the letter to the Board of Trustees yet. I’m waiting to consult with one more pit bull advocate.  I will keep you all updated on my progress. My goal is to have the breed specific language removed from the dog ordinance by the end of this year!

3) To end on a good note, our friend and talented artist, Kate McGilsky, took our family photos:





Well, that is all for now . . .hopefully I will be better this year with blogging!


1 comment: